The girls had a piano recital on May 31st. Ashley started playing in Oct. 2010, Emily in Jan. 2011. Both have worked hard and have come a long ways. Their teacher is Kristi Lee, our friend and neighbor.
Ashley played Wish I Were a Fish as a duet with me. It was fun to practice with her and we finally got it memorized. We tried to remember our dynamics and our song turned out great at the recital. I used the petal and it sounded underwaterish. Emily performed Little Rabbit Hopping, a song she made up herself. The song has four different sounds, each of which is a different part in a corresponding story. 1st- a bunny hopping to the garden, 2nd- bunny pulling carrot out of ground, 3rd- bunny hopping away with carrot, 4th- angry people come out of the house. She also played Lightly Row, a song she's played for a while. It sounded good for the recital, but she played it better in April.
The girls also did a duet of Frere Jacques, also called Are You Sleeping? When the idea was presented to me I loved the idea of seeing my girls playing a duet, yet I was a little concerned for the process. Them learning the music wasn't hard. It was the practicing it together that about drove us all nuts. I will be brief in retelling one of a hundred conversations that took place at the piano:
Emily: One, two, ready go. (starts playing)
Ash: (starts playing)
E: Ashley! You don't start playing yet.
A: Oh.
E: Start again. One two, ready go (starts playing)
A: (waiting until her turn. Em messes up and then starts again)
A: (starts playing)
E: Ashley! You don't start playing yet!
A: How am I supposed to know where to start if you keep messing up? (elbows Emily)
E: Start at measure 5, one, two, ready, go (starts playing)
A: (starts playing, knows her part well so she stares at the ceiling while playing)
E: (messes up) You have to look at your hands!
A: No I don't. You keep messing up on purpose.
E: (Feelings hurt) No I don't! (shove Ashley)
Battle ensues. It ends with Ashley crying and calling for me b/c she's hurt. Or Emily running away with Ashley in close pursuit while screaming "Stupid!"
I think I am glad we had a duet. The performance itself was excellent. They each know how to change their part to accommodate for the others' mistake which was very cool to watch.
I think this duet may reflect on how they live their lives as sisters. They know when each other
so well and can either exploit and get mad at their differences. Or they can recognize the weaknesses and be so sweet to each other.
We bought a new bike for Ashley.
She loves it because she can go fast without having to worry about the falling down part. It hooks to a grown-ups bike, and she can pedal or not as desired. Very fun and exciting for a family biking summer.
We also bought a bike seat for Aaron that attaches at the handlebars. He loves it and looks adorable in his helmet while cruising around going "super fast."
3 comments:
Looks like you guys have been busy getting ready for summer!
Super fun that your girls do piano together too!
love your updates, even if i don't always comment. i really like that bike attachment. maybe something for us to look into...
enjoy the summer with your kiddos!
(this is Elasha) Love the piano duet story. We have a few of those moments here too. In the end, it's good for them, I think! I'm way behind on blogs but having fun catching up.
Post a Comment