Friday, June 24, 2011

Ragnar Relay 2011

The Storybookers, team 198. Total time 30 hrs, 58 minutes.
Starting Line in Logan at the university track. 4:05 a.m. alarm went off, check-in 4:45, start time 6:15 a.m. Temps were low 40's. Frost was on the roof of the car- brrr.
Van 1: Allie, John, Mike, Brent, Maegan, Garrett
Sleeping attempted in high school gymnasiums along the course. Allie snuck this picture- men and women sprawled every which way, snoring surround sound, everybody hyped up since we're in the middle of a race yet too tired to care much, showers and happy eating sounds in the background, with occasional cell phone wake up calls.
Finishing my second leg ready to pass headphones to Garrett. At this exchange a fellow runner caught up to me for the last half mile and we battled it out to the end. I beat him. Check the calf muscles. And with bells on my toes I had music wherever I goes.

VAN 2: Elasha, Cameron, Bill, Bryan, Cherry, Chris
Cherry rocking the downhill. Yes that's snow on the side of the road. I heard later that Cherry had a major side stitch while doing this leg, and the downhill running was making it worse. Yet instead of walking or slowing, Cherry instead runs uphill for a while until her stomach pain subsides and then turns around and runs back downhill towards the finish. That is hardcore. That is Ragnar.
A pleasant surprise of natural hot springs along the way. Chris and Cherry enjoying a soak.
There was big contrast between the green lush farmlands all around us and the white mountains in the background. It made for some beautiful scenery and some crazy running stories.
Bryan was Mr. Ragnar on our team. He stepped into the challenge to complete the hardest hill the day before the race and he did amazing. He trained hard and did great. I am so proud of him. I only wish I could have been there to see it. Instead, our van 1 was at an all you could eat breakfast buffet having our own pre-finish line party.

Yes we are crazy for doing this and yes we signed up to do it again in 2012. Bryan has taken the team captain reins and I gladly handed them over.

No comments: