Presently I'm an occasional scripture reader. I feel good about picking up the book more days than not to read a few versus. I glory in where I'm at because the stage I was in before was not reading much at all. I have verses highlighted from a previous read-through so I usually find a couple good ideas I feel inspired about. I usually flip open to a new chapter each time and find God's word for me for the day.
Most days I think, "I could read a couple verses on the toilet while I have a minute to myself." Yea right! Some days it's during that same minute of time that my kids have to come find me, fling the door wide and insist being right by me until I am done. "Seriously you couldn't wait one minute?" I would call those days the Miss on finding God a place in my heart through scripture reading.
Today I was struggling with something mentally. I am still a little sick with a cold so I'm giving myself some slack, but I was grouchy at my day and was stressed about Bryan leaving to Utah to spend lots of time and money on his brothers. I opened the triple and found D&C 25 as my scripture for the day. I even said a small prayer before I read since I figured God knew all things, he could help me figure out my problem. Section 25 was written to Emma Smith, Joseph's wife and it's full of counsel to her to support her husband. Say what you will about Joseph, polygamy, priesthood & women subservience; God spoke to me through those scriptures. I felt like arguing based on aforementioned reasons as well as a whole spreadsheet I typed up of reasons I feel justified in my beliefs and feelings. I decided that I was okay in trusting God and putting aside all the reasons. I would say definite Hit on finding God through scriptures.
My only problem is my feelings and beliefs on the subject didn't go away. And some of my reasons have left me wondering. Other times I feel a great sense of relief that I didn't have to figure out the issues and have a battle before Bryan left on his trip. In any rate, I feel encouraged about God knowing me, the scriptures speaking to people today, reading the word being a worthwhile investment of my time, and finding that trusting God was a lot less stress in my life overall even though he didn't tell me what I wanted to hear.
No comments:
Post a Comment