Friday, May 28, 2010

Donation station

I want to tell you about my amazing cousin Staci Hopkin. She lives in Massachusetts with husband Andrew and two kids. Their blog http://ashopkin.blogspot.com/
They decided to adopt a child from Ethiopia and then found out they were pregnant. The adoption went through and they are getting a little boy Jesse age 6 months very soon and she is expecting baby #4 in the fall. When I asked her if I could do anything to help she said,
"I want to say to folks who want to help us out "we have everything we need. But the orphanage where Jesse is staying doesn't." We are hoping to give some donations for the orphanage, clothes, diapers, formula, pencils and pens and soccerballs for the older kids, etc. These children without parents and the shorthanded nannies are those who really have needs. When we arrive there we will ask the pediatrician and orphanage director what they need, and then go on a shopping spree for them. We can't wait. If you would like to contribute anything to that cause, it would be wonderful! Even $15 goes SO far in Ethiopia. If it is helpful for your girls, you guys can even pick out what you'd like to donate. school supplies, or toys, or formula, clothes, etc, and I will make sure we take pics of the process for those who donate so they know what they were able to contribute."

When I heard this I got really excited! I love the idea of giving to charities and helping people in other parts of the world who don't have a lot and could really use some help. I don't love the idea of paying a middle man to do the delivering and don't always know if the program is really helping. My cousin's offer fulfills a desire in my heart to give through a trusted giver. I just thought I'd pass on the news in case anyone else is interested too.

2 comments:

Leah said...

Wow...what a great cause. I think I'll hit my friends up on facebook for donations....then send Staci a check. I'd LOVE the no-middle-man or organization overhead taking all the $$.

scooping it up said...

Thanks so much Maegan - your enthusiasm is so wonderful. We can't wait to go shopping for these sweet kids who have so little!