
Welcome to my life after stress regarding Aaron's surgery.
Yesterday was the big day for Aaron's eye surgery. He has/had esotropia we were trying to correct (only uses one eye at a time) and so both eyes had one muscle cut and then reattached further back on the eye ball.
The hardest part of the day pre-surgery was being hungry. He couldn't have anything to eat all day. Formula until 7:45 am, then juice until 12:45 pm and then nothing until surgery at 3:45 p.m.
We reported to Primary Children's Hospital at 2:15 and were a herded to registration (a totally fun playroom which put us all at ease). Then we headed to check out his vitals and get him changed into baby hospital scrubs. Aaron was totally happy playing and checking out stuff at the hospital. Here he is up close and personal with Nana from Peter Pan.

The hardest part of his day in all was coming out of anesthesia. He was tired and confused and getting checked by another nurse and was screaming so much I didn't recognize his cry from down the hall. When I got to hold him I sang to him until he fell asleep. What this picture doesn't show is my tears of gratitude that I knew he was going to be okay. His oxygen got a little low occasionally but that was the only concern and it corrected by itself fairly quickly.

We left the hospital at 6:40 p.m. and were home by 7 p.m. The girls stayed at my friend Char's house. They had a blast playing with her yorkie dog, painting nails, mac and cheese dinner, and pink ice cream. They were mad when I got them because they didn't get to finish their movie.
The hardest parts of my day- 1) Aaron waking up 2) me stressing out 3) the girls whining on the drive home. Of all the things I can complain about- these are the ones I would chose.
We won't know for 4-6 weeks if the surgery was successful. We go back to the Dr. in a month to check. Aaron kept his fake sunglasses on for a full 3 minutes before ripping them off.
6 comments:
We are happy that Aaron's surgery is over. Love the funny pic with the huge sunglasses that he kept on for only 3 minutes :-)
Awww. The pre-op play room - with Aaron in those tiny hospital clothes is sweet, in a scary way. So glad all is well. We'll pray that everything is successful.
Aunt Leah
I've done surgery with my little guy, and the hunger part, and waking from anesthesia part is horrible indeed. Glad its over, and hopefully things improve for sweet little Aaron! You survived!
Glad you survived surgery day..I think it is always harder on Moms then the little ones themselves! Hope Aaron's outcome is successful and I love the sunglasses.
I'm so glad he is okay and I can't wait to hear if it was successful. I have to also say that I recommend buying some of those hospital baby hospital scrubs because those are the cutest things I have ever seen.
So glad everything went ok. I have been so bad at checking blogs. We will be up in Utah for 3 weeks in July and would love to see you guys again.
Post a Comment