Friday, January 25, 2008

Friday Fun Night

For 2008 we started a new Hanks tradition- Friday family fun night. On the 11th we watched "Brother Bear." We thought it was a kid movie that adults could be entertained by too. And what do we get? The kids definitely understood what was going on- man kills bear and bear kills man, this equates to 'bears are scary.' Emily is a very sensitive soul. For a cartoon it had some deep concepts. (FYI-the moose commentary on the movie is hysterical!).

Friday the 18th we watched Tarzan. Emily and I had to have a few discussions this week about how a tiger hurt Tarzan's real mom and dad and how Tarzan got to have a new monkey mommy. And Ashley has been saying 'tiger get Tarzan's mommy' all week at random times as we are driving around. I think we will take a break from family movies for a while.

Tonight we went bowling. It was a great time for everyone. Bryan bowled 140-near his best ever. And how often do we bowl? I think we went only once in 2007 and he at the top of his game? Bryan is a stud. On the other hand, I was pathetic! Frame one-1 point, frame two-1, frame three-5, and then-- frame 9 I got a spare and then frame 10- 3 STRIKES IN A ROW! Seriously what are the odds?!? My total 85. The kids loved the shoes and the ball-ramp and had a blast. Then we went to the arcade and played 'driver' games. Then we turned in our arcade tickets for sticky hand toys. We thought bowling was fun? The sticky hands had Emily laughing for 20 minutes straight. Poor Ashley was so paranoid they were going to get her- it was hilarious! Ashley's comment, "Sticky hand poke me in the eye. I gonna rip it." The girl can definitely express her opinion about something.

4 comments:

shelley said...

Every Disney or family movie has some kind of "scary" concept to set up the plot - to me it's very disturbing! We rented "Monster's Inc" for Shaelyn to watch b/c a girlfriend of mine said her daughter (about Shaelyn's age) LOVES it. Kidnapped kids and monsters in your closet?!? While Shaelyn didn't understand these concepts, she was terrified of the screaming (since there's a lot b/c screams keep the electricity going in monster town). We only got about 1/4 of the way through before she was crying! We'll stick to Wheel of Fortune (Shaelyn's favorite show) - no plot with scary elements and no moral lessons to be taught! :)

Chad and Amy Hatfield said...

We've been doing Friday Fun Nights for a couple years now and it has helped Jackson to figure out the days of the week b/c he always has something to look forward to. If you want some suggestions: sometimes we make movies, at least once a month we make homemade pizzas, homemade caramel corn while you watch the movie makes it so much better, we have dance parties, play board games, and we've done the bowling and/or arcade thing a few times too. Picnics in the summer are a blast.

Katie said...

Hey Hanks Family!

I got your address from your Christmas newsletter, and decided to finally pop in. What a fun blog! I think Friday Fun Night sounds great, unfortunately, I spend my Friday nights in a Physiology Lab class. Anyway, I wanted to say hi, but I also wanted to thank you for being such an awesome friend and co-music leader in primary. I'll totally miss you guys! Thanks for being such a great friend, and a great support in primary. Good luck this year with the program. There will be an extra tear in my eye when they sing "We Thank Thee O God For A Prophet" this year. Best Wishes, and I'll pop in again.

Allie Thornbrue said...

Too funny. I think that is a great idea!